11 June 2007

I Have A Name

Thank you, Mom! And hello, everyone else!

I am indeed thriving here in incredulously HOT Burkina Faso. But instead of describe everything that has happened so far in one go, let me tell you the story of last night with last 19 minutes left on my internet connection:

Yesterday evening I moved in with a host family that will house me for the next three months. They live in a village several kilometers outside the city in which I am training. They are an ethnic group (Peul or Fulani) which speaks Fulfuldé, therefore I am on my third language of my sejour in this country -- first French, then Mooré, and now Fulfuldé, although I will continue to work on all three.

When we arrived in village the community held an adoption ceremony with lots of spectators, seats for the honored guests (us), and a respectable lawn-chair-thrown for the village chief. Our representative gave a few words, the chief welcomed us and spoke a bit (FYI this all happened entirely in Mooré), then each trainee was called up to meet their family. The first trainee was called, her family name was called -- she stood up, the patriarch stood up, they shook hands and sat down together. The second trainee was called -- he stood up, the patriarch stood up, they shook hands and sat down together. The third trainee was called -- she stood up, the patriarch stood up, they shook hands and sat down together. Then I (the last trainee) was called, my family was called, I stood up and fifteen people jumped up to surround me (someone was videotaping I think so there should be proof) and I shook the hand of 14 giggling women and children as well as the patriarch's hand.

After some laughs and commotion, my Peace Corps representative asked me my name. I said "Christina"; He said "No, they have given you a name - your name from now on is "Adjara".

Adjara -- Fulfuldé for "one who is loved".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Adjara

I am so proud of you! Glad things are going well. Your new name is beautiful.

You friends and colleagues at IFC miss you a lot.

much love

Corrie & Sam

Melle T. said...

Adjara !! Ca sonne comme le nom d'une princesse indienne. Bon, d'accord, je me trompe de continent. C'est beauuuuu !! Ca donne envie, cette cérémonie. Nous autres occidentaux avons perdu le goût des formes.

Melle T. said...

Sorry, titoune's me, Chris...