19 October 2007

Just Try to Blend In...

19 October 2007

This village has about 3000 residents and draws a crowd of probably 2000 people on the big 21-day marché*. On October 15, I realized that I was literally the only white person in a 2000-person market. Not only was I the only white person in Béléhédé's market that day, but also the only non-African. This market is a completely local phenomenon; there would be no reason for anyone to come if they didn't live within 50kilometers. When I thought it out, I realized I could say with almost complete certainty that I was the only non-black, non-West African person within at least a 22K radius, and excepting my friend David in Tongomayel, make that 40K. Within 22K I would also be by far the most educated; probably the only person to have ever been in a plane; certainly the only person never to have experienced extreme poverty within my extended family; probably the only one to have ever been to a movie theater or an amusement park; and certainly the only individual with a gmail address.

Just some perspective.


*Béléhédé, my village, has a market every three days and each Monday. When these two markets collide every 21 days, there is a BIG market - le vingt-et-un marché.

1 comment:

Melle T. said...

Nice thought. The other day, I was writing an article about the members of Facebook. I looked up on Wikipedia to compare with the population of Belgium, and doing so I found how many people live in every country of the world. Made me think that we belong to a very small minority...