05 October 2007

A Vampire? Maybe?

5 October, 2007
Last night I had an unwelcome visitor.

First I heard a nearby flapping sound which woke me up. In gauging nighttime terrors and threats I think in terms of the worst possible thing. So I thought, at least this sounds bigger than a cockroach... Second, I simultaneously grab my glasses (to the left) and my flashlight/ weapon (to the right). Third, I wield my light and assess the situation. Ah ha! I was right, it is not a cockroach! But... Oh-My-God... it is flying, bigger than my hand, and INSIDE my mosquito net! I dive out of bed to the right breaking the seal of the tucked-in net and run screaming and slapping myself into the living room.

It was a bat.

I examined the net for holes or entry points. That night I found nothing out-of-the ordinary, no rips or tears, and decided to leave the bat trapped. I'll ask someone for help in the morning. So I pitched my tent and slept under the stars. When I woke up at 5:30 (as usual) the bat was gone, there were no holes in my net, and my creepy bed-mate had left no trace.

What do you think, should I start sleeping with a wooden stake?

1 comment:

Melle T. said...

Sure ! Let's nickname you "Buffy", in addition ;)